Friday, April 15, 2011

Nightmare

A nightmare gallops,
From behind the shadows,
Across the muddy fields
Of my consciousness,
Like a war horse
Charging into battle,
Trampling all sense of hope.
As each coronet sinks into the dirt
My core rattles;
I quiver...
The cadence of every fourth beat
Beguiles me,
I’m paralysed;
Defenceless...
At every suspension
My heart seizes...
I anticipate obliteration
As she stampedes toward me.
But with every break
In her thunderous gait
I begin to realise that
My insecurities are her farriery
My fears are the hay
That fuels her brio
My odium is the dam
That birthed her.
She rears before me
But I’m unfazed,
Planted...
As she settles
I embrace her.
She is green...
Untamed
I mount her
Grasp her mane
And suddenly,
The nightmare
That once evoked
A bitterness within me...
This shadow
That once made me cower
Is now the source
Of my enlightenment
And slowly,
Socks...
Then a snip...
Then a blaze...
I find myself mounted
On a white steed
Of illumination
And just before the dawn,
I sleep soundly

©José V. Guerra Awe

No comments:

Post a Comment